Green River Baptist Church was organized March 12, 1875. The first pastor was Elder Christopher Columbus Case. The first Sunday School was organized under the leadership of Elder J. Williams.
The land where the church and the old cemetery are located was purchased from three gentlemen from New York on March 1, 1902. The deacons signed the deed, and it was registered on February 2, 1903.
In 1909, a new church building was built under the leadership of Rev. T. C. Harris. Rev. J. M. Walker preached the dedication sermon for the new church on May 10, 1914.
On November 11, 1928, the church voted to buy its first piano. In 1937, electric lights were added to the church.
In July, 1946, a building fund was started for our first parsonage. The parsonage was paid for on May 3, 1953.
The current Educational Building was first entered into for service in November, 1957. The first service held in our present sanctuary was on Easter Sunday, April 10, 1960. At this time, the first electric organ was installed.
In October, 1969, we hired our first outside Minister of Music. In September, 1972, the church debt was paid off. A note-burning service was held on November 12, 1972
On July 2, 1974, a Land Committee was formed to decide on land for a new parsonage. In September, 1978, plans were accepted for our new parsonage. In June of 1980, the new parsonage was dedicated; open house was held on June 29. A note- burning service was held on December 11, 1988. The church was debt free. On May 14, 1993, a new sound system was installed.
In August, 1995, we called our first Youth/Children's Minister.
In July, 1996, Dr. J. Harold Smith led in Revival services here at Green River. God blessed mightily with 56 professions of faith.
Other important events in recent years include, the beginning of a van ministry, the purchase of a new piano and a new organ. Complete renovation of the Sanctuary and many updates to the Educational Building. A prayer garden was built. The Sound System was updated in 2004.
In 2005 the church voted to install a video projection system to enhance the worship service and other ministries of the church.
In November 2005 the church voted to have a consultant, Dr. Todd Morris of Kershaw, SC, help with a complete revitalization of it's ministries. The Sunday School was reorganized for outreach as well as other changes in the ministries of the church.
We praise God for His continued blessings on us here at Green River. "What a mighty God we serve."