We affirm the Holy Bible as the inspired Word of God and the basis for our beliefs. This Church subscribes to the doctrinal statement of “The Baptist Faith and Message” as adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention. We voluntarily band ourselves together as a body of baptized believers in Jesus Christ, personally committed to sharing the good news of salvation to lost mankind. The ordinances of the Church are believers’ baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
Church Mission Statement
To be a dynamic spiritual organism empowered by the Holy Spirit to share Christ with as many people as possible in our church, community and throughout the world.
To be a worshiping fellowship, experiencing an awareness of God recognizing his person, and responding in obedience to His leadership.
To help people experience a growing knowledge of the holiness of God and the sinfulness of man according to the Word of God.
To be a church which ministers unselfishly to persons in the community and the world in Jesus’ name.
To be a church whose purpose is to be Christ like in our daily living by emphasizing total commitment of life, personality, and possessions to the Lordship of Christ.
In the year 1932, there was a Brush Arbor built on the farm of Thomas and Ida Johnson. A revival service was held with the Rev. Govan Cudd as speaker. He was of the Wesleyan Methodist faith. After the revival services, some to the people in the community felt the need of a place of worship for there were quite a few families with small children that did not have an opportunity to attend church. Three women: Mrs. Ida Johnson, Mrs. Vaira Pettit and Mrs. Malony Wood were the leaders of this group. I’m sure there were others helping and the result was the making of a tenant house on this farm into a place of worship. This was started as a nondenominational place of worship.
The first pastor called was the Rev. J.T. Wood. According to Rev. Wood, the church was organized in 1936 with seven charter members. Some members of Buck Creek Baptist Church helped with the organization. The church was called Mr. Sini Baptist. Rev. Wood was pastor for seven (7) years. Genevieve Gosnell was the first church clerk. Thomas Johnson and Emory Pettit were the first deacons.
Rev. Guy Johnson was the second pastor called in 1938 or 1939. Thomas Johnson and others felt the need for a better and larger place to worship. After some discussion, they approached Dr. E.E. Bomar of Landrum about a tract of land on which to build. Dr. Bomar tried to discourage the group by asking them to come to the First Baptist Church of Landrum. This, however, would not help because most of the people had no means of transportation. Seeing the determination of the people and young Johnson, Dr. Bomar and his wife gave to the church four-fifths acre of land on which to build a house of worship. At Dr. Bomar’s request, the name of the church was changed from Mr. Sini to Pacolet Hills stressing the “hills” because from this spot, you can see many hills. In 1946 the church bought a half-acre from the Bomars for the cemetery.
Pacolet Hills Baptist Church was organized in 194l. Rev. Guy Johnson resigned as pastor the last part of 1941 or the first part of 1942 to go back to school.
As the years went by the people of Pacolet Hills felt the time had come to renovate the church and add more room. The project was undertaken and completed. On May 18, 1975, a formal dedication was held to dedicate the renovation, the new furniture and the new addition to the church.
Since that time, a new sound system was installed, the parking lot was paved and a pastorium was built in 1991, a new well was dug in 2002 and new windows were installed in the education building.
Presently the church is debt free.
The following are pastors who served at Pacolet Hills Baptist Church: